5 Things to Look for When Choosing a Nursing Home
It has become clear that Mom can no longer live alone. But what sort of facility would be the best choice for her? Assisted-living? A nursing home?
It depends on her needs.
The best way to begin this decision is for family members to conduct an objective needs assessment for Mom. Is she no longer able to properly groom or toilet herself? Does she have dementia or other medical issues that require ongoing care?
If so, she needs the care provided by a nursing home.
But this just creates another question. How do you choose something good enough for Mom?
Consider the following when choosing a nursing home:
- It’s best to find one close to where her children (or the child who is taking the most responsibility for her care) are, so visiting is easier. Search online for a list of nursing homes within a few-mile radius.
- Make sure the nursing home offers the specific care she requires. For example, if Mom has Alzheimer’s, does the facility have a Memory Care unit? Specialized care for Mom’s conditions can make all the difference.
- Check the reviews. Sites such as senioradvisor.com, wellness.com, and caring.com offer information, reviews, and even photos of nursing homes.
- Call the most promising nursing homes to get information you may not have gleaned from the reviews. Is nursing staff available twenty-four hours a day? How often are registered nurses and doctors available? What are their accommodations: can mom get a private room, or will she need to have a roommate? (Personal preferences — and finances — will help determine this choice.)
- Schedule a tour. When you go, look closely at how the staff treats the residents. Are they friendly and warm? Do the residents appear happy, clean, and well-groomed? Is the environment well-lit, and pleasant?
By doing your homework, you can do your best to take care of Mom.
Laurel Bay Health and Rehabilitation Center, in Keansburg, NJ, consistently gets high grades on all measures of care. Our residents receive the highest quality rehabilitative and skilled nursing care in a homelike and compassionate environment conducive to healing. Our family-owned and -operated 123-bed facility, is tucked away in the quiet beach town of Keansburg, NJ at the Jersey Shore, within sight of Sandy Hook and the New York City skyline.
We specialize in pulmonary care, and also have a dedicated Alzheimer’s Unit.
Other services include short-term rehab, long-term care, hospice care, and respite care for those times when the caretaker needs to be taken care of.
We proudly provide the following specialty healthcare services: complex medical care management, intravenous (IV) therapy, wound care, enteral feeding, pain management, oxygen therapy, tracheostomy care, a dedicated pulmonary program, hospice care with private suites, a stroke rehab program, respiratory support, eye care, dental care, podiatry care, and psychological consults and counseling.
We pride ourselves on healing the entire patient through a holistic and individualized approach.
Our meticulous care planning helps us ensure that each and every resident receives the best in clinical care, support and unconditional love.
For over 25 years, we have been a staple of health and wellness, serving the members of our community and partnering with our local hospitals like Bayshore Community Hospital in Holmdel, NJ and Riverview Medical Center in Red Bank, NJ.
We provide a tailored program of physical, occupational and speech therapy, as well as all types of specialized care under one roof.
Read our reviews on senioradvisor.com, wellness.com, and caring.com to hear what our residents and their families have to say.
Or better yet, come see for yourself. Contact us to schedule a tour by clicking here or by calling (372) 787-8100.
Leave a Comment